Position: Senior Counsel
For the past two decades, Mr. Husnu Al-Suood has been one of the mainstays of the Maldivian legal environment. With an illustrative career in both public service as well as private practice, Mr Al-Suood in widely regarded as one of the best legal minds of his generation. In the past, he has served in such distinguished capacities as the Chief Judge of the Civil Court of the Maldives and the Attorney General of the Maldives. He has also served as Chairman of the National Law Reform Commission, President of the Clemency Board, Member of the Judicial Services Commission and Member of the Human Rights Commission. He is also founding member of the National Center for Human Rights and Democracy and the Maldives Law Institute.
Mr Suood was a key member of the Maldivian democratic movement that culminated in the first ever democratic elections held in the country and was for a time an elected Member of Parliament for Addu Constituency of the Special Majlis, which drew up the current Constitution of the Maldives.
He is a well published author and his legal opinioins are held in high regard both nationally as well as regionally. Some of his key publications include Maldivian Legal System, Our Rights Our Country, International Human Rights and Understanding Maldivian Company Law (which is used widely by practitioners, students and judges locally).
- Bachelor of Law (Hons), International Islamic University Malaysia, Malaysia
- Master of Laws, University of Queensland, Australia
Special Positions Held
- Chief Judge, Civil Court of Maldives (1997 to 1999)
- Attorney General of the Maldives (2009 - 2010)
- Member of the Judicial Services Commission (2008-2010)
- President of the Clemency Board (2010)
- Chairman, National Law Reform Commission (2009-2010)
- Member, Special Majlis (Constitutional Assembly), (2005 - 2008)
Professional Afiliations and Memberships
- President, Bar Association of Maldives
- President, Maldives Law Institute
- Advocate of the Supreme Court of Maldives
- Member, Law Society of Maldives
- Principle Referee, Maldives Law Review
- Founder, Maldives Center for Human Rights and Democracy
On December 2011, Suood was awarded the National Award of Excellence for Outstanding Servcices in the feild of law/legal services by the Government of the Republic of Maldives.
Asia Law Profiles recognizes him as a leading individual in the field in their 2014 edition.